Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 08:55:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm having some problems working with Wingdings.ttf from
> Microsoft.

You mean `wingding.ttf`, right?  My comments below refer to version
5.00 that comes with Windows 10 (testing with current git version of
FreeType).

> The font has three charmaps:
>
>   Charmap 0: FT_ENCODING_APPLE_ROMAN
>   Charmap 1: FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL
>   Charmap 2: FT_ENCODING_UNICODE

Really?  If I open the font with FreeType, `face->num_charmaps` has
value 2...

> As per the documentation, FT_ENCODING_UNICODE is selected as the
> active charmap by FT_Open_Face().

Well, if you load the font you can see that `face->charmap` is 0x0,
which means that there is no active charmap – because FreeType can't
synthesize a Unicode cmap.