Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 14:57:10 +0200

On 18.08.2020 at 08:55 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> You mean `wingding.ttf`, right?  My comments below refer to version
> 5.00 that comes with Windows 10 (testing with current git version of
> FreeType).

I'm using the wingding.ttf copy that comes with Windows 7. It's indeed
version 5.00, copyright 2006, file size is 83740 bytes, MD5 sum is
68c74934563bf4afa50793c67bd19b24.

>> The font has three charmaps:

>>   Charmap 0: FT_ENCODING_APPLE_ROMAN
>>   Charmap 1: FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL
>>   Charmap 2: FT_ENCODING_UNICODE

> Really?  If I open the font with FreeType, `face->num_charmaps` has
> value 2...

Not here. It's definitely 3 here. But I have to say that I'm still on
freetype 2.5.4. Maybe something has changed?

> Well, if you load the font you can see that `face->charmap` is 0x0,
> which means that there is no active charmap – because FreeType can't
> synthesize a Unicode cmap.

Not here. face->charmap is correctly set to the Unicode charmap which
is the third charmap returned by freetype2 as shown above. But maybe
it has to do with the fact that I'm still on 2.5.4?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas@falkenhahn.com