Re: Migrate to github

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Migrate to github
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 08:41:09 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Anurag,

thanks for your thoughts.

> *#1: Migrate development over to github:*
> Host the git repo on GitHub, use the GitHub issues and PR tracker
> instead of GNU Savannah and e-mail

No.  We won't migrate to github.  If at all, gitlab would be a
possible choice.

> *3. Easier for newbies:*
> *4. Attracts younger developers:*

This doesn't convince me.  A developer who is attracted to a project
by the use of github or gitlab only is probably a developer we don't
need.

> *#2: Join GitHub sponsors program:*
> Text rendering has a profound impact on the user experience and
> there would be many people willing to sponsor improvements to text
> rendering, particularly linux folks, so it would be great if there
> was a way to channel their support.

Believe me, sponsoring is not a problem – I have been sponsored by
Google and Adobe to do *a lot* for FreeType, and I actually don't need
money for working on FreeType.  Neither does David, Alexei, or
Toshiya.  It's rather a matter of stamina, interest, and time.

> *Benefits:*
> Increase incentive for developers to contribute to freetype, the
> money could be used to hire part time devs, support website
> infrastructure, etc.

Mhmm, not convinced.

> GitHub actions can be used to setup a ci for freetype and make
> issue/PR tracking easier with bots.

Yes, we will eventually use CI features.

> Overall, the proposed changes would decrease friction for new
> developers,

What new developers?

> These are my points (I am a newbie too😅), I hope this post starts a
> discussion and we are able to reach a conclusion.

The most important thing would be to find a capable person who is
willing to invest time into a transition of the main developing
platfrom from Savannah to gitlab, which is a tedious and very
time-consuming process.

I'm also working for GNU LilyPond; a transition to gitlab was done
recently, and it took a few months to iron out everything.  You might
check the 'lilypond-devel' mailing list for e-mails on this topic
(mainly from Jonas Hahnfeld), starting at

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-02/msg00249.html

We were really lucky that this guy appeared recently...

    Werner