Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:59:58 +0530

Thanks for the reply,

>Basically yes.  As an improvement, I would like that the value of the
>`FT_COMPONENT` macro can be displayed optionally, e.g.

>[afhints] foo bar
>[ttgxvar] sproink

>The idea is that you first do a run with `FT2_DEBUG=any:7:labels` to
>see all those tags, then redo it with, say,

> FT2_DEBUG=afhints:7

>to get only the 'afhints' debug messages if this is what you need for
>debugging.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind...

> >2. Most external libraries provide some log levels capabilities
>>    themselves, so, should I think in direction of utilizing
>>    those. In case yes, then how should that be utilized?

>Please elaborate and show examples.
>> In the 2nd case, FreeType's logger will completely depend on the
>> external library, and developers will also need to learn some new
>> information to use the logger.  And In the worst-case scenario, if
>> the external library drops some functionality, we will need to make
>> amendments to the logger.

>I agree.
In the 2nd point I wanted to ask that should I completely reimplement the logger using APIs of external library.
Since you agreed with the below point, I don't think the 2nd point makes any sense now...
Will proceed with the 1st point...

Thanks,
Priyesh

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 9:03 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wanted to ask that after selecting desirable external library how
> should I proceed:

[For David T.: The idea is to statically link the library into
 FreeType using a git submodule.  In other words, it's 'external' only
 because it is developed by other people.]

> 1. Should I stick to the existing debugging facility in which
>    filtering of log messages is based on debug level comparisons of
>    various FreeType's components and only use the external library
>    to write log messages to file instead of stderr?

Basically yes.  As an improvement, I would like that the value of the
`FT_COMPONENT` macro can be displayed optionally, e.g.

  [afhints] foo bar
  [ttgxvar] sproink

The idea is that you first do a run with `FT2_DEBUG=any:7:labels` to
see all those tags, then redo it with, say,

  FT2_DEBUG=afhints:7

to get only the 'afhints' debug messages if this is what you need for
debugging.

> 2. Most external libraries provide some log levels capabilities
>    themselves, so, should I think in direction of utilizing
>    those. In case yes, then how should that be utilized?

Please elaborate and show examples.

> In the 2nd case, FreeType's logger will completely depend on the
> external library, and developers will also need to learn some new
> information to use the logger.  And In the worst-case scenario, if
> the external library drops some functionality, we will need to make
> amendments to the logger.

I agree.

> According to me, the 1st option is better since the experience of
> using the logger will be the same for the client and developers and
> the only dependency of FreeType on external library will be of
> writing log messages to a file.

Yep.

    Werner