Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 17:38:04 +0200 (CEST)

> Also in the last message you said you would explore logging
> libraries, and I would be curious about the results, i.e.:
>
> - Can you give one *concrete example* of an actual logging library
>   that would be useful for FreeType developers for development
>   purposes.  Because I failed to find one.

Investigating this is part of the GSoC project :-)

> - What would be the actual benefits to using an external logging
>   library really?

(a) We don't have to fiddle with OS-specific details.
(b) Better control of log formatting.
(c) Possibly a config file for (a) and/or (b) in addition to
    environment variables.

> Note that the quality of the logging library(ies) has nothing to do
> with this.  I would rather not introduced a surperfluous dependency
> to the build.

As mentioned in another e-mail, it wouldn't be a dependency since it
should be always statically linked.

    Werner