Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 12:33:22 +0530

Hey,
I wanted to ask that after selecting desirable external library how should I proceed:
1. Should I stick to the existing debugging facility in which filtering of log messages is based on debug level comparisons of various FreeType's components and only use the external library to write log messages to file instead of stderr?
OR
2. Most external libraries provide some log levels capabilities themselves, so,  should I think in direction of utilizing those. In case yes, then how should that be utilized?

In the 2nd case, FreeType's logger will completely depend on the external library, and developers will also need to learn some new information to use the logger. And In the worst-case scenario, if the external library drops some functionality, we will need to make amendments to the logger.

According to me, the 1st option is better since the experience of using the logger will be the same for the client and developers and the only dependency of FreeType on external library will be of writing log messages to a file.

Please guide me...
Thanks
Priyesh