Re: [Freebangfont-devel] UniBangla

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] UniBangla
Date: 24 Apr 2003 22:56:45 +0530

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 08:21, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> I don't think political or personal inclinations of individuals (or groups
> for
> that matter) concern any of us much. I don't follow Microsoft related news,
> so I have no idea how much of these perceptions are true. I also have no idea
> how big of a business it is in Bangladesh to sell these add-ons, but of
> course it's quite likely that these will eventually suffer. Which is bad, but
> on the other hand I personally don't think software should have any monetary
> value (software skills are another matter), so I don't really care.
>
> But all this is really beside the point. The concepts of Free Software and
> the
> GPL have nothing to do with India (and especially not Microsoft), and it is
> the spirit of these concepts that BIOS is violating. It's really very simple,
> all the GPL asks (and what BIOS seems to ignore) is that creators be given
> credit for their creations. It also asks that any work derived from the GPL
> also be GPL'd, which BIOS is also ignoring because they often seem to have no
> license statement at all. I don't know what Bangladesh laws are, but I doubt
> the default laws correspond to the GPL exactly.

Well, as far as the UniBangla font is concerned - the readme.txt (not
README :-( states
License: GNU License

What is that???

-sdg-

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

Speak out on social and cultural issues
                at
        PeacefulAction.Org
    http://www.peacefulaction.org

The best way to accelerate a Windoze box is at 9.8 meters per second per
second.