Re: [Freebangfont-devel] UniBangla

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] UniBangla
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:51:22 -0500

I don't think political or personal inclinations of individuals (or groups for
that matter) concern any of us much. I don't follow Microsoft related news,
so I have no idea how much of these perceptions are true. I also have no idea
how big of a business it is in Bangladesh to sell these add-ons, but of
course it's quite likely that these will eventually suffer. Which is bad, but
on the other hand I personally don't think software should have any monetary
value (software skills are another matter), so I don't really care.

But all this is really beside the point. The concepts of Free Software and the
GPL have nothing to do with India (and especially not Microsoft), and it is
the spirit of these concepts that BIOS is violating. It's really very simple,
all the GPL asks (and what BIOS seems to ignore) is that creators be given
credit for their creations. It also asks that any work derived from the GPL
also be GPL'd, which BIOS is also ignoring because they often seem to have no
license statement at all. I don't know what Bangladesh laws are, but I doubt
the default laws correspond to the GPL exactly.

These things may not seem important in the face of the much bigger problem of
cost and proprietary rights, but they are to some, and the people involved in
BIOS should be aware that what they are doing is illegal as well as
unconscionable.

Deepayan