Re: [Freebangfont-devel] seeking help regarding bangla fonts in linux

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] seeking help regarding bangla fonts in linux
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:19:51 -0600

Hi,

to reiterate what Sayamindu said, you should probably try to figure out what
exactly it is that you want to do before actually doing anything. As I see
it, there can be two approaches to writing software (leaving aside commercial
motives) -- the first is to just have fun and learn new things, and the
second (which is not necessarily incompatible with the first) is to do it in
such a way that it might be useful to someone other than yourself. There is
nothing wrong with either way, but you definitely should not confuse the two.

I say this because from the description of your project, this sounds like the
first approach, whereas your motivations (GNU/FSF and helping other students
etc) seem more like the second.

If the first approach is what you want, that is perfectly OK. Ask us what you
want to know, we will try to answer as best we can. If you hope to do more
(maybe not today, but someday), read on.

Why will your project not help others ? Because you are doing work that has
already been done and is widely used. KDE (which is written in Qt) has
several editors that support Unicode (which covers Bengali, Hindi, English
and a lot more). They don't support opentype fonts (required to properly
display conjuncts etc) yet, but that support is expected in the next release
of Qt. Gtk/Gnome, on the other hand already has fairly good opentype support
through pango, and I bet that the gedit program that comes with RH 8 will
properly display bengali and hindi as soon as you install the appropriate
fonts. It's not very obvious how to do input, but it's possible. And there
are lots of other examples (Lekho, Yudit, etc).

The problem of course is how to know what has been done and what hasn't. This
in my experience is one of the most difficult things in the Free Software
world. But it's not impossible. If there's something you think you would like
to do, search on the net about it, read the mailing lists, maybe ask us to
see what we know about it.

Anyway, I hope all that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Deepayan