Re: [Freebangfont-devel] seeking help regarding bangla fonts in linux

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] seeking help regarding bangla fonts in linux
Date: 03 Apr 2003 18:56:48 +0530

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 15:26, saikat sengupta wrote:
>    We are students of Computer science and engineering(3rd year),Kolkata.Very
> recently we came across linux8.0(red hat) and the associated free software
> foundations.We are very moved by the concept and trying to do something of
> our own.So we want to create a mutlilingual editor (supporting Bengali,Hindi
> and English fonts) for the students helping them in differnt ways.
>                                 We have created an editor in Qt Designer and
> now are trying  to make that multilingual using Unicode format.We came to
> know about your works in the field of "bangla fonts" and thought that we
> might get appropriate help from you.Since we have been introduced to this
> very recently just by sheer interest,it will be very helpful to us if you can
> render your help or  any suggestions to us.If it is possible for you to spend
> some time from your tight schedule for us please let us know so that we could
> ask you about our specific problems.Our mail I.D.'s are:
> address@hidden     and      address@hidden
>                 yours sincerely,

/*WARNING: potential flamebait*/

IMHO, you need to change your outlook.
Do not speak of *language specific editors* (ie, editors supporting x,y
and z language), but speak of the OS supporting x, y z language, so that
all the default editors and everything support x, y and z out of the
box.
That is a much better effort (IMHO).
To make my point clear, if you make a QT based editor, if it is a plain
vanilla one (which is not the case with Lekho, and that's why I like
it), the editor will lose its significance as soon as QT starts
supporting Bangla, as the more feature rich Kedit/Kate/whatever will be
supporting Bangla.
Lekho on the other hand, has features such as BangTex import (TODO)
/export, cross platform capabilities, etc, that will sustain it for a
long time.
I think you would be better off working on a standardized thing
(OpenOffice for instance).
I am not trying to discourage you, but this is just a friendly advise.

Sorry if the mail sounds too harsh or crazy - just came back after a
long English First language exam (I Hate History of English Literature!!
:-)

-cheers-
Sayamindu

--