Re: [Freebangfont-devel] RFC: design of bengali opentype font

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] RFC: design of bengali opentype font
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:18:36 -0600

On Monday 31 March 2003 10:54 am, Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> Hi,
> about the expanded jukto list
>
> na + da isn't there in Radice's book, but isn't that how one spells khondo
> (as in "ditio khondo")

My sanskrita upakramanika from class VI (which is the only handy source of
natta-bidhi and shatta-bidhi I have right now) says that in a conjunct of the
form

na + <anything from Ta-barga>

the na must be murdhanya na (Na in our notation). so khondo would actually be
khoNDo. The problem of course is for english words written in Bengali (e.g.,
Bond as in James Bond), for which we can't enforce spelling conventions. I'm
not sure what to do for such cases.

Of course, there's always the fallback of using half-na + Da even if there's
no separate glyph for this.

> ga + ra + dirghou seems ok, any reason there's a q mark ?

Only that I couldn't think of a word which actually uses that. Should we also
have

pa + ra + dirghou
tha + ra + dirghou
dha + ra + dirghou