Re: [Freebangfont-devel] RFC: design of bengali opentype font

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] RFC: design of bengali opentype font
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:37:55 -0600

On Monday 31 March 2003 07:18 am, Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2003, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> > > I don't like this. How about appending "beng_" to what I had earlier ?
> > > e.g.,
> > >
> > > beng_ka, beng_kha, ..., beng_k_Sha, etc
> >
> > Seems good enough to me.
> > using *bengali will mean extra typing ;-)
>
> bn_ka, bn_kha, bn_k_Sha ?

Should be OK as well. I guess both beng_ and bn_ are OK, and the choice is
mainly subjective.

One thing that could be said for 'beng' is that it is the standard 4-letter
code for the bengali script (as deva is for devanagari, gujr is for gujrati,
etc) and in that sense should be extendable when other scripts come in. 'bn'
on the other hand is a localisation code (?) which may or may not always
reflect language/script. In any case, we should decide on something soon.

I was going through the list of conjuncts (juktolist.txt) and made several
additions. What I currently have can be found at

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/FreeBangFontDevel/TemplateFont/

Can anyone see anything missing ? There are some more I can think of that are
very obscure and would be rarely used. But I am sure we would miss some of
those no matter how complete we try to be. Should I go ahead with what I have
and add new things later if they come up ? The only problem I can see with
that is that the sequence of glyphs might lose some of its structure, i.e.,
ba-phala forms or vowel forms may become mixed up with regular conjuncts etc.

Deepayan

P.S.: Best of luck to Sayamindu, whose exams have started today (I think ?).