fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 15:09:32 +0100

Hi again,

just to highlight the much faster speed of SF2 loading, here is the
previous test run again, but this time with the same Soundfont in SF2
format (converted with Polyphone). The resulting SF2 is 204 MB (SF3
was 40MB):

$ time ./test.sh 1
real 0m0,366s
user 0m0,093s
sys 0m0,163s

$ time ./test.sh 2
real 0m0,457s
user 0m0,196s
sys 0m0,454s

$ time ./test.sh 3
real 0m0,521s
user 0m0,378s
sys 0m0,754s

$ time ./test.sh 4
real 0m0,595s
user 0m0,476s
sys 0m0,964s

So loading the SF2 version of a converted SF3 soundfont is around 20
times faster on a single core. So if you can find a good way to
convert SF3 to SF2 and have the disk space, using SF2 soundfonts is by
far the best way to speed up loading times.

Cheers
Marcus