fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 14:50:08 +0100

Hi,

Am Mi., 28. Okt. 2020 um 13:10 Uhr schrieb Ceresa Jean-Jacques
<jean-jacques.ceresa@orange.fr>:
> Now we should try the suggested test to run 2 fluidsynth console applications
> (a1, a2) at the same time (not sequencially) and measure the total time.

That's a really good idea to quickly test if parallel loading has
merit. A quick test on my machine (i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4) and the
MuseScore_General.sf3 (ca. 40MB) Soundfont on SSD with the following
test script:

--------------
#!/bin/bash
for i in `seq $1`; do
    ./fluidsynth -a file ./MuseScore_General.sf3 &
done
wait
--------------

$ time ./test.sh 1
real 0m6,110s
user 0m5,829s
sys 0m0,172s

$ time ./test.sh 2
real 0m6,658s
user 0m12,615s
sys 0m0,344s

$ time ./test.sh 3
real 0m8,884s
user 0m23,626s
sys 0m0,544s

$ time ./test.sh 4
real 0m10,444s
user 0m38,182s
sys 0m0,851s

With each test the number of used cores in the test was maxed out at
100% CPU load.

So it looks like parallel loading would be beneficial.

Cheers
Marcus