fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Possible approach to preloading samples / presets

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Possible approach to preloading samples / presets
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 21:02:36 +0200

Am Fr., 23. Okt. 2020 um 21:17 Uhr schrieb Tom M. via fluid-dev
<fluid-dev@nongnu.org>:
> Why do you *need* to use (or support) "huge soundfonts" on a device that
> apparently has memory constraints? Wouldn't a smaller SF that entirely
> fits into memory do as well?

First let me clarify: I'm not hugely memory constrained. The device
has 1G of RAM, of which around 700 - 800 MB are theoretically usable
for Soundfonts.

The reason I want to use dynamic sample loading is because I'm not in
control of the Soundfonts on the device. I ship with a few
preconfigured soundfonts and instrument setups, but the user has the
ability to upload new soundfonts to the device and configure new
setups. And as the device uses 9 synth channels and the user can
freely assign any preset from any soundfonts to these channels, an
instrument setup could load nine different soundfonts for a single
setup.

> And if you really need that "huge soundfonts", wouldn't it be possible
> to truncate the SF by deleting samples that you'll never need?

Yes, that would be possible of course. But it would require my users
to do that themselves. Or I would have to restrict the Soundfonts
which can be used with the instrument, which I really don't want to
do.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers
Marcus