Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:21:18 +0200

Tacvek wrote:
What about the following reinterpretation:
None: Level not beaten - no easy mode available (!)
Feather: Level not beaten - easy mode available
Feather + Gold: Level beaten in normal mode - easy available
Silver: Level beaten in easy mode (normal mode available)
Gold: Level beaten in normal mode - easy not availabe (!!)
Silver + Gold: Level beaten in all modes - easy available (!)

That does make sense.
So basicly, if you see a silver metal, or a feather, there is an easy mode. Otherwise there is no easy mode. Similarly if you see a feather, or there is no gold metal, you have not finished the level in all available difficulties.

That should work. I would assume the feather would be in a vertical position (or perhaps a very slight diagonal) and would take up approximately the same amount of space as the silver metal currently does.

@Andreas: can you supply an appropriate feather icon?

Also when on the topic of easy modes: I'm not so sure about Martin_91 (part of tutorial, and Enigma III). It seems to me that Easy mode on that level is actually harder.
The "world records" for that level seem to agree with me on that.

Oh, I never played this one in easy mode. Indeed the difference between easy and normal is difficult to notice. A short view at the level sourcecode showed that the author did set the "Brittleness" to 0.0 in case of easy mode. But he may have not been aware that this only effects floors without a crack or with a crack0. But as he sets a crack0 - crack3 with equal chances on every floor the effect is given but very small.

I suggest enlarging the chances for a floor to have crack0 by setting

items=cell{{{randomfloor, {i0,i0,i0,i1,i2,i3}}}}

just for the easy mode without increasing the score version number.

@Raoul: would you please test the modification and commit it if nobody disagrees.

(I will admit though that on certain type of levels it may be legitimate for the record for hard to be shorter than easy, but not in the case of that level.)

Bad "easy" world records are mainly a result of players not noticing that the level supplies an easy mode. In the case of "Brittle Floor!" the solution time for records is totally independent of easy or normal mode play. The record just shows if someone had the luck to hit the oxyds in the right sequence -- and that depends on the number of players who solved the level in easy mode.

- Ronald