Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:54:23 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 4:15 PM

Hi,

Tacvek wrote:
For a new player, a single medal is a little short of
a message. And, who really reads the manual?
So an easy-to-understand icon is desired. An icon
that says "press this and you get easy levels".

Ok...  I'm not sure the feather adds clarity though.
The use both medals with 1 being grayed out does seem a decent idea.

The small icon, are you suggesting an icon that simply indicates the presence of an easy mode, and whose absence indcate the lack? I think we should be careful, we already have 3 possible icons. (Four if you count the lock icon created for the unlock the levels concept). Many more and we will run out of space. If we do keep the feather below the easy medal, then the obvious level icon would be
the feather.

The has-easy-mode-but-not-yet-solved icon for attachment on the level
preview would not occupy additional space. It would be displayed at the
same position as the honored medalls if the user did not yet solve the level at all.

Ok... For what it is worth I was counting the medal icons as one icon, despite
having 2 graphic files and 4 visible permutations (one invisible one).

We currently have:
None: Level not beaten (easy mode might exist)
Silver: Level beaten in easy mode (Easy mode exists)
Gold: Level beaten in normal mode, but not easy mode. (Easy mode exists)
Gold over silver: Level beaten in all modes, currently in normal mode. (Easy mode might exist.) Silver over gold: Level beaten in all modes, currently in easy mode. (Easy mode might exist.)

What are we proposing for this new change?
Clearly you are suggesting an icon that could appear when there are no medals. What about when both are visible? I assume we want to be able to indicate that there is an actual easy mode. If we do this by simply adding a feather below the silver medal (or where the silver medal would be if it is not present) then that should work fine. It would add
only three new permutations, and result in a small change to one other.

That seems like a reasonable way to go, especially if we use the two mode icons
andreas showed.