Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Easy/Normal-Mode-Icon
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:47:25 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Lochmann" <address@hidden>
To: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:11 PM

Hi,

Tacvek wrote:

As you might have seen in pre-alpha, we want to replace most
text-buttons by easy to understand icons. Has anyone a good
suggestion for the easy/normal-icon?
A possible start-point for discussion is the icon-pair in the
attachment, you can test them when you temporarily replace
gfx/ic-strictlynext and ic-unsolved.
As second, a corresponding small icon on the level preview
itself would be interesting.

Is there something wrong with the current easy/normal icon?
They are not text so... I'm confused.

For a new player, a single medal is a little short of
a message. And, who really reads the manual?
So an easy-to-understand icon is desired. An icon
that says "press this and you get easy levels".

Ok...  I'm not sure the feather adds clarity though.
The use both medals with 1 being grayed out does seem a decent idea.

The small icon, are you suggesting an icon that simply indicates the presence of an easy mode, and whose absence indcate the lack? I think we should be careful, we already have 3 possible icons. (Four if you count the lock icon created for the unlock the levels concept). Many more and we will run out of space. If we do keep the feather below the easy medal, then the obvious level icon would be
the feather.

Speaking of icons, will the speedy ball icon go back to being a better-than-par icon in a furture version once the web service is running? It is currently a better-than-world-record icon, which seems like something a bit difficult to strive for.