Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:22:12 +0200

> As for the XML debate... what good will XML bring, anyway? How will
> reading it be simpler than just letting the (LUA) script run and setup
> editor state programatically? (Presumably with functions like
> add_filter, add_shape, etc.)

Lua scripts are only parsable by the Lua interpreter, so every level
editor in existence has problems loading levels that aren't restricted
to the most basic syntactic constructs.  Just as importantly, even *if*
you include the Lua interpreter, you cannot restore the Lua file after
of functions after they have been loaded.

The lua2xml script currently chokes on all levels that use Lua functions
as signal targets, for exactly that reason.  It *might* be possible to
convert some of these levels by manually parsing them, copying all
variable assignments and function definitions verbatim to the <lua>
section, emitting a warning that the level may not work correctly and
hoping for the best :-)  I'm only glad you cannot use anonymous
functions as signal targets in Enigma ;-)

Daniel