Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again

From: Petr Machata
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:32:32 +0200

Moon Pearl wrote:
> Hello Petr,
>
> I took time to read your e-mail (yes I did !). Well, these conceptions are
> pretty interesting to me, but if you really want to have an editor working
> with vectorial rooms and so on, you'll have to make it very practical and
> easy to use ! Because I wouldn't use such an editor if it took me more time
> to draw a level than with a standard editor !

Thanks for response. I actually plan to make editing as straightforward
as possible. You can use classical atom-per-click way of design, if you
want to. In fact, you will have to, not everything can be designed
simply with this high level approach. The key is making the interface
familiar enough so that the users don't have to know what takes place
behind the scene; but if they know, it'll help them.

I think the best thing about the editor is that when you change your
mind and want, say, all walls to be from metal, instead from stone, it's
a matter of simple drag'n'drop of a metal tile to desired wall.

Well... that said, making the editor nice and friendly will certainly be
a pain. Enigma isn't very widget-rich development platform, and in that
rather low resolution, there won't be very much space to accomodate all
the necessary windows and panes... wish me luck ;)

> Aurore.

Petr Machata