Fwd: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Fwd: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:54:33 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erich Schubert <address@hidden>
Date: Jul 19, 2005 4:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again
To: Petr Machata <address@hidden>

Hi,

> Xml format, if I understand it correctly, was created as simple for
> machines to process, as possible. For this reason, there are no high

You can easily translate the lua code to some (not yet existant) xml
statements, and there's nothing wrong with making a checkerboard-fill
option for the xml format.

BUT: don't expect a level editor to recreate the same when you save the file.

the xml format was introduced in large parts as response to the
"parsers" that were written in lua all the time. Basically, many level
authors put a "map" of the level (written in ascii characters, stored
in lua strings) into their .lua format level, and wrote a small script
to process this.

I think the xml format was intended to provide this functionally
natively without needing to do a huge if-then-elsif-elsif-elsif-... as
is usually done now.

Also, lua code can get quite complex. The xml format is probably
lacking many of the (rarely ever, if ever used) options you had in
lua. For example you could probably write a lua script to calculate a
fractal and use that as level. Would just take a long time to start...

You don't want to require these processing capabilties from the level
editors; in an ideal world any level editor is able to read and
re-write all levels...

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\

--
best regards,
Erich Schubert