Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma editor, again
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:12:17 +0200

Hello Karen,

> in the XML data file? Obviously an editor can be constructed to
> interpret higher order constructs, and Enigma certainly can - it does
> so already with internal, helper functions, and scriptable functions
> within the LUA tagged area.

Not really. Enigma doesn't need to *write* the level back into a file.
It doesn't matter what enigma uses internally for representing the
level. That's why a .lua file is fine for enigma that maybe a human
has a hard time to understand, enigma can just run it. But it can't
edit it.

> Erich, It wan't my intention to try to represent fractals in XML,
> or any dynamic constructs (the LUA section of the XML format
> allows for creations of functions and more complex things),
> or even expect an external level editor to render them.

I didn't assume that, I just wanted to somewhat show the complexity
possible in the lua stuff, and why this lead to the xml format. And
that a format with higher-level constructs is somewhat a step back
towards the pure lua format.

Introducing higher-level constructs basically means that we need a
more complex file format and more complex editors. At the current
state there is no enigma editor available for me (sorry, no borland
for me, please. Open source only). I'd prefer having only the simple
format for now, but an editor for that...

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\