Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem

From: Karen Pouelle
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:57:13 +0000

The description "scroll but align to screens" was a lie.

Ingo van Lil <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you want to put it like that, yes. But it's more reasonable than
> letting the ball roll (partially) out of the screen.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning of degrees.  Letting the ball
roll through the doorway and only then transition into the next
screen is reasonable when the design of the level requires it
to do so.  Be it more or less reasonable, it's still reasonable.
"The ball is supposed to..." sounds like you want to dictate
the effect an actor will create with the screen in everyone's
level, and not put that choice into their hands.

Why do you make it a question of which scroll mode is
more globally reasonable when I'm asking for the option
for the designer of the level to choose which is more
reasonable in a particular level?  If I say "letting the actor
begin leaving the screen before flipping or scrolling to the
next screen" for my particuarl level, then it is - because I
have reasoned it so.  I'm not asking to change all levels,
but to give me and others the option to choose what I
(and possibly others) believe to be more reasonable.

Let's look at some recent works to see how they've gotten
around the problem I'm describing.  Maybe you didn't
try the level I pasted into the last email, instead just sending
off a line to say you don't like developing, making Enigma
better.

"Here is a little level of mine ("Four Elemental Tests")
[4lments.lua]. It includes four tests based on speed, intelligence,
dexterity and patience ; it's an all-in-one level." -- Moonpearl12

In this level, the four theme rooms are bordered with stones
which, with the exception of the bumper stones in the Earth
room, serve only to divide the rooms.  Notice in the Fire theme
room (see attached thumbnail) that the walls for the Earth and
Water room are visible on the east and south sides respectively.
The theme of the rooms had to be a compromise of border stones
due to the problem I'm describing - no scroll option to truly
"scroll but align to screens."

Had those stones been a more functional part of the rooms, they
would have been revealed before entering the room.  The Air room
is bordered by the bump stones from the Earth room for no
other reason than there is no screen scroll mode available to
move them out of view.

The point is - I wish to make a functional section of an adjacent
screen not visible until a transition begins from one screen to the
next, and providing a scroll mode that does this would allow me to
get on with what I'm doing - attempting to add to the value of Enigma
by asking for more options for level designers, and creating levels
myself.

I'm just asking for a scroll mode that actually does "scroll but
align to screens." on the horizontal and vertical thresholds,
instead of begining the transition too soon and making the
scroll short of an entire screen by one block - which isn't
suitable for my current level creation.

Is there something in the code that doesn't allow more than 4 scroll
options?  I'll gladly look into the code if you believe there's a
legitimate reason there for not adding new scroll options.
But so far, I'm not buying your reasons against considering this -
This idea to have this style of screen scrolling and/or flipping
seems a bit overdue to me.