emacsconf-org

Reaching active speakers for fixing issues (was: Various updates, prep n

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Reaching active speakers for fixing issues (was: Various updates, prep notes for speakers)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 10:54:43 +0100

Sacha Chua (sacha@sachachua.com) wrote:

> I'm thinking about the couple of times that we had frozen talks and the
> speaker didn't notice, because things looked fine on their end. It would
> help to have a quick way to make something go ding, since they might not be
> paying attention to the pad and IRC moves too quickly. We have
> international folks, so if someone happens to have a free or
> inexpensive way to call, that would probably beat me ringing them on my cell
> phone. I don't know if Mumble is enough of a backup for this scenario,
> since an Internet hiccup would disrupt that too.

As a speaker, I'd prefer text messages via Phone (or app) or a
separate channel I might be able to keep an eye on during the
presentation.

This separate computer channel might be an IRC chat where *only
relevant* messages pop up. I would not be able to separate irrelevant
messages from relevant while giving a talk. Maybe an IRC room for
each speaker? With a naming convention like ec20-LASTNAME this could
be handled well, I presume.

--
Karl Voit