emacsconf-org

Re: Various updates, prep notes for speakers

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Various updates, prep notes for speakers
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 23:15:08 -0400

while streaming their recent FSF35 event, and it worked out pretty well
IMHO).  Would using a separate machine be an option for you Sacha, and
would it help reduce the multiple audio channels headache a bit?

My brain is the bottleneck. I can monitor text channels fine, since there's scrollback, but too many audio things going on would be tough. =) I can give it a try, though.

> +1  - Do we need another person?  Perhaps dedicated to helping with
> organizational comms?  I have someone in mind I could attempt to
IIRC Sacha handled that by herself last year, though I may be wrong (I
myself was in a mad scramble trying to do the stream and resolve the
technical issues that kept popping up that morning :-p).
Sacha, what do you think?

I'm thinking about the couple of times that we had frozen talks and the speaker didn't notice, because things looked fine on their end. It would help to have a quick way to make something go ding, since they might not be paying attention to the pad and IRC moves too quickly. We have international folks, so if someone happens to have a free or inexpensive way to call, that would probably beat me ringing them on my cell phone. I don't know if Mumble is enough of a backup for this scenario, since an Internet hiccup would disrupt that too.

> I like pushing all questions to a pad; I also like being flexible and
> staying out of the way of presenters who may be pulling things
> directly from IRC.  The only obvious danger I see would be if a

I'd recommend pad first, then IRC if the speaker feels confident about monitoring both, since the IRC conversations tend to move swiftly and go on tangents. IRC is great for reading the room, though. If we pull off the extended Q&A, there might be multiple IRC threads in the same channel. I wonder how we can make it manageable...

I think it comes down to this: will we have enough people-power to
stream all the extended/q&a bits outside the main track?  If yes, then
we don't really have to worry about having people over on BBB.  However,
if streaming those bits off the main track will be a challenge, and if
it will be much easier for the presenters themselves (or one of the
volunteers) to only record their desktop locally, then we would have to
let people on BBB to actually participate, and then we will make the
recording available later for those who weren't able to join in on BBB.

Hmmm... Actually, if speakers can stream directly to the Icecast server themselves, then they can talk for as long as they want, because they're not bottlenecked by the availability of streaming volunteers. I wonder if people might be interested in that... They can even do picture-in-picture if they want! Then the tech check involves making sure their stream works--they're audible and everything--and they can just hang out until Amin gives them the signal somehow (maybe that's where Mumble comes in? or #emacsconf-org or the pad?).

Sacha