emacsconf-org

Re: Various updates, prep notes for speakers

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Various updates, prep notes for speakers
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 08:13:22 -0400

Hello, all!

On Mon., Oct. 26, 2020, 00:26 Amin Bandali, <bandali@gnu.org> wrote:

   We can do something similar for this year too, but we figured since
   we will likely be using BigBlueButton, we could try asking the
   audience members who have a question to directly join the BBB room
   for the current talk and interact with the speaker there.  As long as
   the number of people joining is reasonable, this might work out well.
   This also goes hand in hand with us

Hmm... If we're going to let viewers in, then I'd recommend per-talk BBB rooms. The downside is that there's more of a moderation burden. I'd recommend using a collaborative pad for questions instead. Then the questions can be clearly organized, the speakers may even be able to monitor it themselves, it'll be auto-documented, and we don't have to worry about overloading BBB. If someone can keep an eye on IRC and put questions into the collaborative pad, that would be even better.

3. Should we have our Mumble server as an additional communication
   channel besides our IRC channels?  If so, we would probably need to
   have at least one or two of us (or other new volunteers) keep an eye
   (well, ear ;-)) on our Mumble server and moderate it.  Or should we
   keep it under the wraps for the most part and use it only for comms
   between ourselves?

Tracking multiple audio channels (talk + Mumble) will be too difficult for me, I think. I'd prefer to focus on being able to stream parallel sessions. But of course, if someone feels strongly about it, they're welcome to take the lead on Mumble. :)

Sacha