emacs-tangents

Re: no to war in Ukraine

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:26:28 +0300

* Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2022-02-27 12:26]:
> Le dimanĉo, 27-a de februaro 2022, 9-a horo kaj 5:42 CET Po Lu a écrit :
> > Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> writes:
> > > So I propose to abandon the topic, unless some webmasters or
> > > maintainers have desire to follow the consensual and comforting trend
> > > of putting their flag anywhere in sign of support.  That’d be in line
> > > with our ideas of freedom.
> >
> > The GNU project doesn't have any political opinions aside from that of
> > the free software movement.  I hope that includes not taking sides on
> > the conflict in the Ukraine, or otherwise I will not be able to continue
> > working on Emacs.
>
> Why require so hardly such neutrality? I mean other projects did so by the
> past (like
> supporting uyghurs or dunno, other geopolitical stuff) and that doesn’t stop
> from software
> freedom or contribution… to me that’s alike people stating anything personal
> (like «i like
> pasta», or dunno) or humor or what in projects: at least it makes it
> (nonpermanently) more
> personal and identifiable, maybe it even can increases contribution.

Imagine if humanitarian organizations such as red cross or Amnesty
International would deny their help based on ethnicity or political
opinions of people who need such help.

FSF is non-profit organization and it has social purpose to help with
free software. It does not take sides in politics of the world.

Individual members may do so.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns