emacs-tangents

Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 22:30:27 +0300

On 2020-12-09 20:22 +03, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> Number one critic to you is that you drive people who use free
> software to non-free software.

Please, please, let we be done with this.  People have the choice as to
what software they decide to use, so let’s not spam people’s inboxes
with this useless tirade, especially if it’ll be in this patronising and
ungrateful manner.

If this person chose to use Matlab, it’s totally their decision.
Software they used on their own device.  Nobody gets to say anything
about that.

Now, the choice of Google forms is not great, but nobody forced anybody
to fill in the survey, and nobody has the right or authority to decide
with which software people get to use the name of Emacs with.  That sort
of language policing is easily fascistic, whatever the yardstick looks
like.  Also, looking over your email again, I see no link to any online
survey tools that could replace the use of Google Forms here.

Also, just because it’s about Emacs, they need not be using Emacs
solutions for everything they do.  If they like Jupyter over Org mode,
that’s it, nobody gets a word to say about it.  Furthermore, there is a
package that lets you control Jupyter notebooks from inside Emacs.
Besides, the data is public.

Overall, this is terrible attitude.

> - html/css is not a programming language, SQL is a structured query
>   language with some functions but it is not a programming
>   language.

Both of those claims are debatable.  The latter _highly_ debatable.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427