Re: basic git

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: basic git
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:15:28 -0700

On 6/30/23, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/06/2023 13:55, Samuel Wales wrote:
>> the merge conflict is
>>
>> <<<<<<< HEAD
>> ;; Version: 9.7-pre
>> =======
>> ;; Version: 9.6.7
>
> It looks like you tried to merge into the "bugfix" branch the "main"
> branch.

i had no idea.

> Do you have history of last git commands, e.g. in an emacs eshell
> buffer? Please, post them.

would rather forget the trauma.  but there is amusement value to be
had by onlookers so here goes.

hehe you get to see all my git ignorance and try to wonder at what my
scritps do.

  502  ado git-pullv # says what's new etc.
  503  git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/bugfix bugfix
#i was told to do this.  it worked ok before.  but now it tells me i
have to do something.
  504  cd $delbig
  505  cd 9bugfix #symlink
  506  git status
  507  ado git-pullv
  508  git pull
  509  git fetch --tags origin #desperation sets in
  510  git status
  511  ado git-pullv
# this is the !@#$ it moment.  should work for sure.  ha ha.
  512  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
  513  mv org-mode ../new
  514  cd ..
  515  mv org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
../obsolescent--xyzzy-nomost/
  516  mv new org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
  517  cd org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
  518  git status
  519  git gc
  520  git status
  521  git branch bugfix
  522  git status
  523  git branch
  524  git checkout bugfix
  525  git status
  526  ado git-pullv
  527  ado diffoldnew cat .git/config
  528  git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/bugfix bugfix
  529  ado diffoldnew cat .git/config
#so i can s3ee what git does with its inscrutably seemingly suddenly
needed command
  530  git status
  531  git pullv
  532  ado git-pullv
  533  git fetch
  534  git merge --force #flailing around
  535  git status
  536  git pull
  537  git pull --theirs #i just want upstream
  538  git status
  539  git merge --abort #well it said i could didn't it?
  540  git status
  541  git pull --their
  542  git --theirs pull
  543  git pull --theirs
  544  git branch
  545  git branch asdfasdf
  546  git branch
  547  git branch -d associated
  548  git branch -d asdfasdf
  549  git branch #ok i get that it doesn't change branches by now
  553  u;eagenda
  554  lt
  555  cd /tmp
  556  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
#try again, as i did all that weird wrong stuff
  557  cd org-mode
  558  ,git branch -a
  559  git branch -a
  560  git checkout bugfix
  561  git branch -a
  562  git pull
  563  git pull origin bugfix
  564  cd ..
  565  pd
  566  cd $delbit
  567  lt
  568  cd $delbig
  569  lt
  570  rmg org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
  571  mv /tmp/org-mode org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
  572  cd org-mode--vanilla-bugfix--ok-to-pull--xyzzy-nomost
  573  git status
  574  ado git-pullv
# ok it works

> Git is a flexible and powerful tool.

cannot disagree but also it is one which is too much for me most of
the time given my cognitive decline.  i try to stick to the basics and
it throws me into stress territory when even just blowing away the
existing and cloning doesn't work.

sticking to the basics /usually/ works.  yeah, it's a dag, you
checkout stuff, you avoid fancy stuff like plutonium.  actiually it
can have muluple roots but never mind that. git is like they say about
war.  boredom punctuated by terror.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com