Re: batch breaks bugfix

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: batch breaks bugfix
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 20:03:20 -0700

On 6/19/23, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> the bug occurs in recent bugfix, but not recent main, so perhaps we
>> could say that it is fixed in main but that the fix has not been
>> applied to bugfix?  [if only the fix were known.]
>
> Maybe.
>
>> does org testing use --batch?
>
> Yup.
> If you have time and interest, it would be useful if you can integrate
> your regression tests with Org's test suite.

[so as to not ignore you --- i would like that very much but npot poss
or useful to do that atm for me for unrelated reasons or for the tests
[ignore following unless of interest]:
- not signed up
- private data included [but useful tses]
- scattered shell functions + elisp to be extracted/cleaned
- running as --batch currently errors at emacs "Unknown option
‘-maximized’" [only one hyphen] with no backtrace even with
--debug-init.  i can't find where this originates from, although it is
guessably windowy code that --batch does not run -- i want to have it
work as --batch.  i think it does not seem to be my maximizing code in
.emacs.  i wonder what org standard testcase does to get no errors
like that.
- running non-batch works but is annoying with emacs popping up for
each test and loading .emacs for a few seconds
  - [currently not at stage of reducing that to ecm -Q elisp that
might or might not resolve any batch issues.
  - for my tastes it would ahve to be made to not violate DRY so as to
forestall syncing issues and would be less like running normal emacs
anyway, thus in principle could fail to flag possible future
non-intuitive bug-causing changes in .emacs
  - still want --batch though as lower-frame does not solve annoyance]
- make info, errors, etc. not yet appended to the diffable agenda
output for convenience in showing all factors like pulling and making
and running that could affect a given output and speed.
- truly bizarre bug with certain tasks not showing up in agenda in
certain repos.  i even have 2 repos, identical, just /named/
differently, where one does this and the other does not.  this is no
longer batch vs. non-batch; it's an unknown cause.
- currently i do make oldorg for everything but my non-canonical repos
havfe a local.mk.  also tried make.  not sure if such differences
could cause any bugs subtly.
- bugfix and main sorting still not getting ts-down tsia-down right.
maint gets it right.
  - i'd have to make ecm which is not possible atm.
- having said that it was a relief to have had this script for so many
years as i was able to be confident that the agenda was picking up
every relevant task, not picking up others, sorting, formatting
correctly, org version changes, .emacs...]

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com