Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: AW
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:58:15 +0100

Am Dienstag, 24. Januar 2023, 10:40:30 CET schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:
> >> It is not up to Org. Try
> >>
> >>  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
> >>
> >> You will likely see nothing.
> >
> > Well, M-x  (browse-url "mid:3218434.44csPzL39Z@linux.fritz.box")
> > produces [No match].
>
> This is not a command.
> You need M-: (...

Sorry, I'm a user, not much knowledge of elisp. However, the result now is
'nil'.

> >> So, while Org may provide some limited help with mid:, as Max suggested,
> >> there is no way to guarantee that mid: links will work for all users
> >> without users hand-customizing how to open emails.
> >>
> >> I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
> >> `browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.
> >
> > This is weird since ever. I've been talking to some collegues and
> > everybody
> > has his/her own special approach. Mostly producing a PDF from the E-Mail
> > and saving this and its attachments somewhere. That's a thing that
> > bothered me for decades.
>
> Well. The more widely used standard is Maildir - downloading emails from
> server to local machine. Emails are just files there that can be indexed
> by variety of mail client software.

This is about a maildirs of kmail on my local machine. The E-Mails are being
indexed by akonadi on the side of kde-pim. But referring to a certain E-Mail
from orgmode with a kind of link fails, because I'd need to got to the maildir
and search for the specific E-Mail. kde-pim does not offer an easy way to
extract that or the message-ID.

> The main question is which email clients actually support mid: links.
> notmuch does, but in non-standard way, without doing it system-wide.

And kmail obviously does not. OK, but since I installed notmuch, notmuch.el
and ol-notmuch.el, I will have a look into using this. Thank you!

--

Regards,

Alexander