Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: AW
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:59:12 +0100

Am Montag, 23. Januar 2023, 12:46:38 CET schrieb Max Nikulin:
> On 23/01/2023 01:47, AW wrote:
> >> We could support mid: is the corresponding url schema existed and
> >> supported by various OSes.
> >
> > Isn't this rather important? How many users of orgmode get TODOs via
> > E-Mail
> > and need an efficient way to come back from the TODO to its origin?
>
> I agree that linking mail messages and Org notes is important. On the
> other hand my impression is that the "mid:" URI protocol is not adopted
> wide enough by mail user agents yet, so it is too early to enable it by
> default in Org.
>
> Configuring of "mid:" links requires just a few lines in init.el and
> they are quite usual for custom links.
>
> Alexander, you have tried 2 mail application and it seems neither of
> them supports "mid:" links out of the box. Notmuch looks almost ready,
> it needs just a .desktop file and configuring `browse-url-handlers' on
> activation. Have you checked if kmail bug tracker has a feature request
> for "mid:" links? I am not sure that KDE bug trackers are indexed by
> search engines.

I have done that now without result. But I'll write an E-Mail to the
developers of kmail.

>  From the blog post by Karl Voit I have an impression that developers of
> Evolution do not follow RFC since posted command example contains angle
> brackets (mid:<...@...>). Such format causes "not found" error in
> Thunderbird.
>
> On 23/01/2023 17:40, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> > I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
> > `browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.
>
> Do you know an alternative? Org already uses this package to open some
> types of links. It allows to have the same handler for all Emacs
> packages. I do not think that Org-specific handler would be better.

As long as notmuch, notmuch.el and ol-notmuch are there we have a viable
solution, thanks to this (undocumented) trick with notmuch:id:123abc, after
getting the id by opening the mail with notmuch in emacs and »c I«.

Thank you for your time and effort!

--
Regards,
Alexander