Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:17:28 +0000

"Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <djcb.bulk@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry if I'm repeating things earlier mentioned...
>
> mu4e supports message-id links through org-mode, and I *extensively*
> use that my agenda / todo lists. E.g.,
>    mu4e:msgid:CACwzTKkeyptMcOA=jq8y23948-FKyfKMTwU3FA@mail.gmail.com

Ideally, we need not to think which mail client to open the link in.
Be it notmuch or mu4e or some other OS email client outside Emacs.

mu4e: or notmuch: links are more specific in this regard.

> To make it work through browse-url (is that useful?) shouldn't be too
> hard to configure `browse-url-default-handlers' for that. For mu4e that
> could simply use `mu4e-org-open', except that mu4e uses `msgid' (a
> better name imho) rather than `mid'.

mid: if a known standard, as Max pointed in the earlier message:

RFC 2392 - Content-ID and Message-ID Uniform Resource Locators. 1998
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2392

It makes more sense than arbitrary ideas not known to anyone, even if
they sound better for some users.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,