Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 23:42:02 +0700

On 08/01/2023 03:07, Jean Louis wrote:
* Max Nikulin [2023-01-06 06:30]:
Could you, please, concentrate on your vision of proper
`org-export-registered-backends' design?

I leave that to Org developers. That variable is not described well,
neither mentioned in Org manual.

Org has user manual, but not developer manual. Doesn't `org-export-define-backend' provide enough details concerning `org-export-registered-backends'?

Your vision of `org-export-registered-backends' design might shed some light why you consider its design as poor. I do not see any real problem to use it as is with a better menu implementation.

I can only reiterate my point which you did not understand. In Emacs
there are thousands of extensions. There is mainstream Emacs and there
are ELPA, and other repositories and all kinds of Emacs packages.

I am aware of it. In the context of export menu, third party package may register their export function.

Based on that I don't find it consistent that in variable
`org-export-registered-backends' Org has something like this:

(85 "As UTF-8 buffer"
           (lambda
             (a s v b)
             (org-ascii-export-as-ascii a s v b
                                        '(:ascii-charset utf-8))))

as that asks for key probably 85 to be defined for that specific
function.

And the design of that variable leads to Gordian knot of the tangled
code because it demands from all other exporters and extensions to
follow that principle.

I do not see any problem. The structure associates export functions, titles and hints for key bindings. It is normal for UI to have accelerator keys. If you do not like suggested key, you are free to override it in your menu framework. What code is tangled from your point of view? In the posted snippet I see a declaration of a function that should be exposed to UI.

> I recommend not binding authors of Org export packages to provide
> keys and let users be free to decide which keys to use for which
> export.

Allowing users to customize key bindings is not the same as imposing obligations to choose key bindings. You are free to not provide default key bindings or to shuffle menu entries by popularity for "convenience" in *your* packages. Default keys means consistency for novices and users who do not want to customize such aspects.

And principle is not consistent to (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")

I see just a minor issue that ESC ESC does not dismiss menu. C-g still works. Local variables dialog ("do you want to apply...") behaves similar to Org menus. There is enough room for improvements, but I would not call it a great trouble.

I am repeating it thousands of times on website pages. If it disturbs
you, is personal problem, which I can't help with.

I do not care what you are posting on some websites. I do not like that in messages sent to my email you are repeating the same obvious ideas even when asked to clarify your particular statements.