Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 09:41:13 +0000

> On 07/01/2023 16:04, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>
>> As I said, the requirement to get it into the core is re-creating
>> previous layout and bindings. The layout and bindings may be
>> customizable, but they must be available.
>
> I would say, a layout that is not worse than the current one. Org menus
> may have more than 1 column and it is advantage for wide windows. A
> distant goal might be a menu that is more flexible and may adapt for
> single column suitable for a narrow side window.
>
> Another issue is accessibility. Too long menus are likely terrible for
> users relying on Emacspeak. I have no idea how to deal with such case,
> perhaps a better organized hierarchy unveiled level by level. API
> conventions that allows to change menu implementation may be a rescue as
> well.
>
> Tim Cross. Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes. Mon, 06 Jun
> 2022 09:05:29 +1000 https://list.orgmode.org/87sfoi1xde.fsf@gmail.com/

I do not insist of extending the functionality. Step one is re-creating
the existing one, including echoing the selected menus, as we do
already.

If we can achieve this, the whole menu library might be moved out of Org
into Emacs core and get further developed there. But it is too early to
talk about this now. I first want to see (with real working patches for
Org) if it is feasible to re-create the existing menus using the
proposed approach.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,