Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:37:50 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-05 14:17]:
> Could you please elaborate what is bad about the design and maybe
> provide some ideas how it can be improved?

There was choice back in time, before 10 years, to provide to user few
keys to run some functions, like Org export. That itself is not bad,
but when it started expanding into now more than 100+ different
exports, Org requires every new package to define what? Keys? So every
package author is supposed to provide keys and various snippets of
text, because they have to accommodate initial and outdated notion on
using simple menu.

Org Export is not any more simple menu.

And Org users are in quite peculiar mode, with headings, TODO, tags,
so in my personal logic it does not make sense NOT to provide to Org
users Org based buffers where they can fold or unfold headings, freely
use mouse to export, or keys, and watch in one window the buffer with
menu like RCD Org Export, and in other windows other exports appearing
in various versions, minimizing repetition, and helping user become
more efficient.

The ideas have been sent as concept to you, then as full package,
which I now use daily, so it is to derive the mode, define key
bindings, decide how to display toggling of variables for body, scope,
async, etc. and generate hyperlinks for export.

RCD Dashboard package is made to help other similar things to be
created, and I wish to liberate it even from Org mode.

I use daily RCD Dashboard, as it is package for packages in now
multiple screens appearing automatically, imagine intersections of
elementary objects like headings, or files, with their names,
appearing in generated Org buffers with hyperlinks.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman