Re: Opening org-cite links with different application

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Opening org-cite links with different application
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 08:17:53 +1000

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 12:47 PM Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have had a quick glance into the code I have an additional question
>> why `browse-url' is not used for `citar-file-open-external'.
>
> The "external" here means opening files external to emacs.
>
> The typical use case is someone wanting to use a system PDF or image viewer.
>
> I had actually forgotten about that function when initially replying!

The browse-url library could be a good approach. It does support
external applications and from memory, can be configured based on MIME
type and supports both primary and secondary renderer selection (at
least for html). Ability to easily switch between internal/external
rendering could be very useful.