Re: Opening org-cite links with different application

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: Opening org-cite links with different application
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 07:00:31 -0400

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 6:53 AM Alessandro Bertulli
<alessandro.bertulli96@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I make Org open the PDF file of a resource, using an external
> application?
>
> Let me explain: with the point on a org-cite link, pressing C-c C-o asks
> me for the resource to open. Selecting the PDF file opens it with
> DocView. I want instead to open it with an external PDF viewer
> (specifically, Sioyek). But I can't make it do so! Changing
> org-file-apps works only when I open "file:" type links. Apparently,
> org-cite links don't read that value.
>
> So I'm asking, particularly to org-cite people: is there a way to do so?

This is not an org-cite issue per se; it's a citar issue, since that
package provides the org-cite "follow" functionality.

You just need to set `citar-file-open-function` to your preferred
function; say xdg-open.

Note that this may change in the future; I'm contemplating making it
an alist so you can set different ones for different extensions.

Bruce