Re: Opening org-cite links with different application

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Opening org-cite links with different application
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 21:53:44 +0700

On 25/05/2022 23:24, Alessandro Bertulli wrote:

P.S. I'm afraid I can't follow you: what's the point with mailcap?

The idea is to keep associations between file types and handlers in a single place. Emacs does not have support of XDG handlers (at least out of the box) but pretends to have support of mailcap(5) database, https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1524.html "RFC 1524 - A User Agent Configuration Mechanism For Multimedia Mail Format Information". At least Debian provides a script that extracts supported MIME types from application .desktop files and adds this info to /etc/mailcap. I do not consider mailcap as a perfect solution, but there is nothing better within Emacs. I believe that configuring each Emacs package separately is even worse. Ideally it should work as a chain of responsibility: system-wide configuration in /etc/mailcap, emacs-wide adjustments, maybe package specific configuration.

I agree that is customary to set special PDF viewer to open citations. Have you considered another approach: to write a script that chooses PDF viewer based on file directory and make it system-wide handler? Then sioyek may be launched even by clicking on a file in file manager.

P.S. Alessandro, could you, please, response to mails using "reply" button. You messages lack of In-Reply-To and References headers, so at least thunderbird does not group messages into a thread.