Re: Tips on maintaining history in Org Mode

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Tips on maintaining history in Org Mode
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:24:14 -0500

On 2021-02-26 01:22, David Masterson wrote:
There are many ways of maintaining history in a group of Org files:
1. Archive within a file
2. Archive to a separate (archive) file
3. Special TODO types for history
4. Special TAG types for history
5. etc.

My question is, if you have meetings/phone calls as TODOs, what is the
preferred way to handle when they move into history so that, *much*
later, you can easily produce a list of all of the meetings/phone calls
with dates and times of them? The issue (I think) is, when you mark the
TODO as DONE, you lose the info of what the TODO was originally.

Suggestions

I agree with what others already said about logging state changes with
timestamps.  I do the same and find this an extremely handy place to
put "metadata about the task, or reason that it changed" and keep it
separate/hidden from the main body of the task (which in my mind
should only contain info about the subject of the headline / task
itself).

However when you say "history" I suspect you mean "archive" and this
is something I have been thinking about a long time as well.  Because
I think the current way that Orgmode handles this is a bit naive /
simplistic.  Well, at least there is the option to create your own
archival function, which I suspect I will do at some point.  In fact I
have been thinking about the best way to do that for some time
already.

Cheers,
TRS-80