Re: Set archive location relative to property

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Set archive location relative to property
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:30:56 -0500

On 2021-02-25 15:49, Florian Lindner wrote:
Am 25.02.21 um 21:22 schrieb Florian Lindner:
is this possible with org-mode? Given a tree:

* Name
:PROPERTIES:
:ARCHIVE:  ???
:END:
** Archive    :ARCHIVE:
** Some node

Upon archiving "Some node" (or any direct or indirect sub-node of
Projectname) I want to end it up under "** Archive". The archive
location should always be relative to the node where the property
ARCHIVE is set.

The documentation org-archive-location does not suggest that is
possible.

An alternative idea would be a setting for the ARCHIVE property that
searches the tree upward until it finds a node with an :ARCHIVE: tag
and use that as archive location. Maybe indicated by a setting of
"::%a".

What do you think?

I could be wrong, but my feeling (in either case) is something like
that would probably require writing a custom archive function.
Luckily, Orgmode allows you to do that.

Cheers,
TRS-80