Re: bug#44935: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwr

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: bug#44935: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user options
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:50:53 +1100

>> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:59 AM
>> From: "Tim Cross" <theophilusx@gmail.com>
>> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
>> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>> Subject: Re: bug#44935: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable,

Agreed. My only issue was when things degraded into personal attacks and
insults. While I don't subscribe to the belief every opinion is valid, I
do subscribe to the belief everyone has the right to express an opinion,
provided it is respectful. I also believe when someone expresses an
opinion in a manner which lacks such respect, we need to call it out so
that the individual becomes aware of what is expected or when what they
have written may not have come across correctly. This is a
multi-cultural community where English is not necessarily the posters
native language and communication can break down because of cultural and
language differences. As far as I'm concerned, both the underlying issue
relating to org-adenda-files is mostly dealt with and expectations
regarding communication standards have been communicated.

I say mostly dealt with because I'm not sure that org *should* update
the org-agenda-files list when a missing file is identified and org has
not been told to ignore missing files. I need to experiment with this to
clarify my position, but based on what I've read in the thread which
clarified the issue, I suspect org should report a warning, but not
modify the variable in a permanent manner by writing it to the custom
section. It could set the variable for the current session if that is
required to prevent other issues, but not store it for future sessions.

I don't think the original bug report was very clear on precisely what
the issue was. This is not uncommon with bug reports, but I suspect
language differences may have played a role here.

--
Tim Cross