Re: issue tracker?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: issue tracker?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 18:57:20 +0200

I can't help but chime in here. Using email for project management, patches,
testing, etc is not difficult or unusual.

In fact, the Linux kernel uses email for this purpose. They have a variety of
reasons which were recently covered in some articles. Clearly their code base
and number of developers is overwhelmingly larger than Org, so we must be doing
something right.

https://lwn.net/Articles/702177/

https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2016/talks/patches-carved-into-stone-tablets/

My personal opinion is I'd always prefer to use my mail client over some
website. I've personally chosen what I think is the best mail client, where I
can easily sort and read mail from mailing lists. It has a fast interface, easy
to read, and is incredibly consistent (yay Mutt!). I can also rapidly edit (in
Emacs!) my replies. I can send an email in a matter of keystrokes, blindly
typing.

Compare that to most websites where I have to wait forever for all the crap
javascript to load, forfeit my privacy to all the trackers and cookies, and then
manage to figure out how their site works. Once done I'm thrown into a
significantly inferior editor box to try and type or paste information in. From
that point, I can only use their website to manage my submission.

The irony that these websites will often notify me *by email* that something has
occurred.

I clearly don't agree that adding a website somehow makes issue tracking or
patch submission magically easier to manage or submit bug information compared
to email.

If you have feedback, please don't hesitate to just send an email to the list
with your questions or comments. This is easily one of my favorite lists and
very welcoming even to controversial opinions.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden