Re: issue tracker?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: issue tracker?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 19:29:41 +0200

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 01:03:50AM +0800, Timothy wrote:
> If you don't mind me adding 2 more cents :P I don't think that email
> should be given up in favour of a web client, or that it isn't better in
> many ways.
>
> However, if it were possible to have the best of both worlds, is there a
> reason why we'd say no? Just taking a guess here, but I imagine it
> should be possible to sync up a public issue tracker to the mailing list.

I can't object to different viewers of list content. It's archived in many
places already, and perhaps those interfaces could filter for bugs or feature
requests. I think there are potential issues though with trying to add any form
of web submission.

 - Who sets up and maintains this new web interface?

 - Where is it hosted?

 - Does this add additional time and effort for the project maintainers?

 - Does this conflict with or supersede the mailing list, thus causing
   maintainers to have to maintain two parallel environments?

While it may sound easy to add, and I understand you may prefer a web interface,
it's a volunteer run project and email is very low effort, low maintenance, and
universally accessible.