Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 16:02:28 +0200

> I'm just a little confused here, particularly on the last item. Why
> would one set a style per bib file?

No idea. The need exists though:
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/10104/two-bibliographies-with-two-different-styles-in-the-same-document>

This is a natural following step. Does Org need to standardize styles?
Or is it up to each citation back-end to handle this?

My naive thinking was to allow something like:

   #+bibliography: "something.bib" :style author-year

but maybe the "style" part is too citation back-end dependant, and
should not be standardized.

I would be nice, however, to standardize two keywords: one to define
a bibliography, and another one to insert it in a document, upon export.

Suggestions welcome!

> On the "could be ignored" part, you are referring to the optional type
> character, so that citey: becomes cite:; correct?

Yes, basically, the parser returns, e.g., '(:style "y"). It is up to the
citation back-end to interpret, or not, that :style attribute. If it
ignores it, the citation effectively becomes equivalent to '(:style
nil), i.e., "cite:". Is that clearer?

> Finally, what does the above example look like when, say, there are
> two cites (say @doe2020 and @doe2019), and a global prefix?
>
> Is it this?
>
> [cite:see ;@doe2020;@doe2019]

Yes, and a "t-styled" citation would be:

  [citet:see;@doe2020;@doe2019]

Barring the prefix, the syntax of the citation does not change wrt to
"wip-cite" branch. However, this is enough to be slightly incompatible,
hence the "wip".

> And a SuppressAuthor variant would be this?
>
> [cite:see ;-@doe2020;-@doe2019]

Indeed.

How does that sound?