Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 18:05:27 -0400

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 5:43 PM <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, that depends on your target. If you aim for CSL than that's already
> fairly complete. (Even it's more than complete since the current CSL
> specification only knows normal citations. Suppressing authors is done by
> calling applications, and AuthorInText is a pandoc-specific addition.)

Suppress author is not specific to pandoc; it's used in other CSL
applications like Zotero and Mendeley.

> If you aim for biblatex than there's still a long way to go.
> Concerning "cite", "(cite)", and "citep"
>
> 1. In CSL the basic citation depends on the class of the citation style.
> Citations appear either as parenthetical citations or in notes.
> It's not a huge deal, but nevertheless...
>
> 2. "citep" is much better than "(cite)", but it is also inaccurate as long as
> CSL is concerned.
>
> So, I'd rather suggest something along these lines:
>
> cite: => note citation or parenthetical citation => (Doe 2020)
> citet => narrative cite => Doe (2020)
>
> Of course, you might argue that this is too closely tied to CSL. You could
> also adopt natbib's cite, citet, citep commands, or biblatex's many cite
> commands...

My only suggestion is to retain the goal of being able to change
back-and-forth from in-text and note-based styles without needing to
modifying the document source.

The pandoc syntax meets that goal.

Biblatex (and likely bibtex) does not, where you have dedicated
citation commands for footcites and such, and so have to modify
document source to make those changes in output.

The downside to the suppress author approach is you have to explicitly
write the author name in the text when doing things like the citet
example above.

So the above would be "Doe [-doe2020]" in pandoc.

I've never found that a problem, but reasonable people disagree.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think citet meets that goal also, so Denis'
suggestion might work.

Bruce