Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 06:05:23 -0400

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:34 AM Stefan Nobis <address@hidden> wrote:

> [Placing bibliography with "#+bibliography: here"]
> > It is smart, but I'm not sure I like using the same keyword for two
> > different things. OTOH, I don't have a better idea.
>
> I personally also dislike one keyword for completely different
> purposes. Therefore I suggest to take the idea from BibLaTeX and use a
> keyword like "printbibliography" the mark the place where the
> bibliography should be output.

So we need one keyword to designate the bibliographic data file, and
another where to place the formatted output.

> This command may also have parameters like filtering options (maybe
> depending on the backend processor; I only know BibLaTeX so I can't
> say if it would be easy to abstract away differences between different
> engines). In the case of BiBLaTeX the printbibliography command
> optionally accepts multiple key-value parameters. Some examples for
> the keys are "heading" for the chapter/section heading, "type" to
> output/print only entries of a certain type (like "book"; or type
> "online" and with the additional key "nottype" separate non-online and
> online sources), "keyword" to filter entries with the associated
> keyword etc.
>
> Another nice feature of BibLaTeX is the possibility to generate
> bibliography per chapter/section (e.g. setting conference
> proceedings). In the simplest case each chapter/section is marked, in
> the case of LaTeX/BibLaTeX it is wrapped with "\begin{refsection}" and
> "\end{refsection}" and the printbibliography command occurs inside
> this refsection block. In this case BibLaTeX defaults to output only
> references used inside the marked block.

Indeed, this is a good summary, and also a feature often requested on
the Zotero forums.

I think the way biblatex handles this is general, based on reading the
docs, is good.

It'd be nice to have, but maybe not essential for a first step?

Bruce