Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 21:48:53 +0000

On Sat 07 Dec 2019, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That still does not match the old behaviour though, as the table still
>> shows the `org-table-shrunk-column-indicator' overlay which is
>> undesireable.
>
> Why is it undesirable?

It also always shows the shrink/expend overlay, even if that is not
desired. I find it visually intrusive, and the extra character
introduces a new misalignment.

>> Dynamic shrink/expand is a fine feature to add, but why was it done in a
>> way that broke the documented existing behaviour ?
>
> I think the current state is better. However, I initially explained the
> motivation behind this change (see links in this thread).

While everyone has their own preferences, developers should not impose
their preferences on users, who may decide to make different choices.

The dynamic shrink feature added a new capability that many will find
useful, but it also removed the ability to do things the older and
simpler way. It should have been added as an option, so either static
or dynamic behaviour can be selected by the user.

    AndyM