Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 16:44:03 +0000

On Fri 06 Dec 2019, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This is still a regression.
>>
>> The old behaviour allowed display of fixed width columns, even if that
>> is wider than the content of cells in that column. This is useful for
>> display of several related tables with aligned column dividers.
>>
>> How do I get the old behaviour back, rather than the new breakage ?
>
> I will try to ignore the sarcasm, or whatever you may call it, from your
> answer.

No sarcasm intended, merely a re-statement that this change is a
regression of user visible behaviour.

> AFAICT, you still can have cells wider than their contents, e.g., try
> `C-c TAB` on the table below.
>
>     | <30> |
>     | foo  |

That still does not match the old behaviour though, as the table still
shows the `org-table-shrunk-column-indicator' overlay which is
undesireable.

Dynamic shrink/expand is a fine feature to add, but why was it done in a
way that broke the documented existing behaviour ?

    AndyM