Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 13:28:02 +0000

On Thu 05 Dec 2019, Kyle Meyer wrote:

> Pankaj Jangid <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> C-c TAB is working but earlier the behaviour was to apply <width>
>> directive by default on next electric formatting. Has the behaviour
>> changed in 9.3?
>
> 9.2, I believe, more specifically 6d6a30d4c (org-table: Implement shrunk
> columns, 2017-06-27).  The relevant NEWS entry, added in 6e5598dc3
> (Document new column display, 2017-08-19), is
>
>   *** =align= STARTUP value no longer narrow table columns
>
>   Columns narrowing (or shrinking) is now dynamic. See [[*Dynamically
>   narrow table columns]] for details. In particular, it is decoupled from
>   aligning.
>
>   If you need to automatically shrink columns upon opening an Org
>   document, use =shrink= value instead, or in addition to align:
>
>   #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>   ,#+STARTUP: align shrink
>   #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> Quickly digging, here are some related threads on the mailing list:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-07/msg00214.html
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-09/msg00217.html

This is still a regression.

The old behaviour allowed display of fixed width columns, even if that
is wider than the content of cells in that column. This is useful for
display of several related tables with aligned column dividers.

How do I get the old behaviour back, rather than the new breakage ?

    AndyM